Popper related news

Popper related news in the local and international media


Transient visual loss after amyl Isobutyl nitrite abuse

A 30-year-old man presented a sudden visual decrease following the use of Isobutyl nitrite (popper) while he was at a discotheque. His visual acuity (VA) was 20/50 in the right eye (RE) and 20/63 in the left eye (LE). Ophthalmoscopy revealed symmetric alteration of the foveal reflex with a small yellowish-white spot in the foveal area, much more evident in the RE. Fluorescein angiography and OCT were normal. Visual field showed a mild reduction of central differential light sensitivity. A progressive recovery was noted and at one month's follow-up VA was 20/25 in OU with very faint yellowish-white spots. . . .

read more


Health Canada seizes dozens of illegal products from Edmonton adult store

Health Canada has seized nearly two dozen brands of poppers from an adult store in northwest Edmonton.
Officials from the federal agency took 24 types of products from the Passion Vault on 111 Avenue, said a news release issued on Nov. 25. Authorities seized similar products from stores in Medicine Hat and Toronto. It is unclear if the raids were connected. . . .

read more


20 year old Australian woman paralysed due to nerve damage after inhaling ~360 nitrous oxide canisters a week

A girl in her 20s struggles to walk. She has nerve damage to her spinal cord and may never recover.
The cause? Bingeing on "nangs" — small canisters of nitrous oxide gas designed for whipping cream, but being misused as a recreational drug.
The female student was inhaling 360 nangs a week. Her future is bleak.. . .

read more


New Club Drug: Poppers

The term “poppers” refers to a group of drugs related to the chemical class alkyl nitrite. Its traditional form as a recreational substance is amyl nitrite, although recently a number of other variations have burst onto the scene, such as isobutyl nitrite and isopropyl nitrite.
Since its discovery in 1844, amyl nitrite has been known to be a powerful vasodilator, which means that it increases blood flow by relaxing the smooth muscles that make up blood vessel walls. . .

read more


I Gotta Have My Pops: Artisanal Poppers Are the Next Big Thing in Butt Sex

I was first introduced to poppers (the inhalant that makes anal sex a breeze and dancing a joy) by a lesbian roommate who worked at a nightclub bar, who would return home each night with an armful of confiscated drugs. (It was, suffice it to say, an incredible living arrangement.) One drunken night, when I was 20, she forced me to take my first hit. Seconds later, I found myself rolling around on the carpet, giggling uncontrollably while my face turned red with heat.. . .

read more


Coroner warns of the dangers of party drugs following Darlington man's death

A CORONER has warned of the dangers of recreational drugs after a man was found dead in a Darlington flat after taking poppers. The body of 58-year-old John Martin was discovered by police in the bedroom of his first floor flat in Peel Street, Darlington, after officers were contacted by mental health workers concerned for his welfare. . . .

read more


Woman dies after drinking bottle of poppers usually used as a sex stimulant

A woman has died after drinking an entire bottle of poppers that are commonly used as a sex stimulant. The woman fell ill and died the same day she bought a bottle of XL Gold at Party Time off licence in Arbroath, Angus, a police report has said. . . .

read more


Man who died at Rainbow Serpent drank amyl nitrite 'poppers', sources say

The 22-year-old man that died at the Rainbow Serpent music festival had drunk amyl nitrite, also known as poppers, Hack understands. Authorities said the man was in cardiac arrest before he died on Saturday night, at the five-day trance festival in Lexton, north-west of Ballarat. . . .

read more


Lucille Ball Used Poppers Before Her Death

Comedian and actress Lucille Ball, a gay icon and early ally, was using poppers before to her 1989 death, according to a new forensic report on her death. Reelz’s Autopsy, The Last Hours Of… devotes its Sunday installment into looking at the last days of the star. In a new teaser for the episode, Dr. Michael Hunter said it’s clear Ball used amyl nitrate, a street drug known as poppers, for four years before her death. . . .

read more


Man (33) died after taking 'poppers' during phone sex with theatre director

A YOUNG art director died after taking 'poppers' while having phone sex with prominent theatre director Michael Scott, an inquest heard. Darach Culhane-Nolan (33) was found dead by his mother at his home on the Burrow Road in Sutton, Dublin on March 16 last year. He had been inhaling the chemical amyl nitrate -- more commonly known as 'poppers' -- the night before, while on the phone with Mr Scott. . . .

read more




News anchor dies during sex

A Los Angeles news anchor died in December after overdosing on methamphetamine during a sexual encounter with a male companion at a California hotel, an autopsy report has revealed. Glendale Police were called to a Days Inn hotel around 1.15pm on December 27 to find KTLA news anchor Christopher Burrous unresponsive and suffering from a "medical emergency," officials said in a press release. Police say a male who had been with Burrous at the time placed the call, Fox News reported. . . .

read more


Lucille Ball Was Using Poppers to 'Ease Pains in Her Chest and Heart': Forensic Pathologist

It’s been nearly 30 years since the queen of comedy, Lucille Ball, died, and new discoveries about her life and death are still being uncovered. This Sunday, Reelz’s Autopsy, The Last Hours of … will investigate Ball’s final days, including the popular street drug she used to ease chest pain. “Lucille Ball died of a rupture of the aorta. This tells me how she died, but not what led to such extensive damage to this critical blood vessel,” forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Hunter says in a preview of the series. . . .

read more


Father calls for more talk about risk-taking after son dies from 'huffing' barbecue gas bottle

A Port Lincoln father has sounded out a warning to parents about the potentially fatal consequences of children inhaling from barbecue gas bottles, after the death of his 16-year-old son.
Paddy, 16, died after inhaling gas from an LPG cylinder, an act known as "huffing" while at a friend's house in Port Lincoln on February 9.
"It was just a normal Saturday night and he wound up dead," Adrian told ABC Radio Adelaide.. . . .

read more


Simon Collins, HIV i-Base

Serious vision loss linked to recreational use of poppers has been reported as a case study in this weeks issue of the Lancet. The vision changes have not resolved after six months.
Anna M Gruener and colleagues from Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and Queen Mary’s Hospital, Sidcup published a case of maculopathy associated with use of poppers in the 1st November 2014 edition of the Lancet . . .

read more


Poppers-Associated Retinal Toxicity

To the Editor: “Poppers” (slang for various forms of alkyl nitrite) are volatile nitric oxide donors that have been used for decades as recreational drugs. Both the popularity of and legal tolerance for poppers have led to the perception that these drugs are relatively innocuous.1 Here, we describe four patients who were seen within a few months of one another and who had prolonged visual loss as a result of damage to foveal photoreceptors shortly after inhaling poppers.In January 2010, Patient 1, a 27-year-old woman, presented with an 11-day history of a reduction in bilateral vision and a “central . . .

read more


The dangers of 'poppers': Using the sex drug just ONCE can cause irreversible damage to your eyes

A new generation of the sex drug 'poppers' can cause irreversible damage to the back of the eyes, scientists warn.
Just one use of the legal highs can trigger the deterioration of the fovea - the part of the retina responsible for the clearest vision.
Despite being designed to create feelings of euphoria, the main chemical ingredient can trigger side effects . . .

read more